INNOVATION DELIVERING IMPACT
Our Literacy Campaigns are based on the UNESCO-award-winning ‘Yes, I Can!’ method, developed internationally for use with disadvantaged groups.
The approach has been designed to raise literacy levels quickly, at low cost, across a region.
Over 10 million people are now literate as a result of implementation in 30 countries in the past 15 years. This is the first implementation in Australia.
Our Literacy Campaigns are run in three linked phases over nine month:
Mobilisation and Socialisation (months 0-3)
- Local community steering committee set up
- Local Aboriginal staff recruited and trained
- Data on community literacy levels collected
- Students enrolled
Lessons (months 3-6)
- Students complete 64 basic literacy lessons
- Lessons are run by local staff using a set of instructional DVDs
- Approximately 20 students per class
- Classes run for 6 to 8 hours per week over 13 weeks
Post-Literacy (6-9 months)
- Students encouraged to 'use it or lose it"
- New literacy skills are applied to real life situations
- Examples include enrolling in further education, seeking employment,
- undertaking work experience, computer training and a range of similar activities